Sunday, December 23, 2007

Spain: Seville to Almeria to Pueblo Laguna

Friday, December 21-Saturday, December 22, 2007

Seville (English), Sevillha (Portuguese) Sevilla (Spanish) was a delightful city with incredible architecture. If I hadn’t had to keep my entire luggage with me, I would have explored the city for a couple of hours before I had to leave for Almeria.

By this time the rain had petered out, though there was still the occasional spotting, but nothing like what was going on in Portugal. Unfortunately, I hadn’t been able to get any photographs of the changing landscape through the rivulets of rain down my bus window. I did manage to see groves of oranges and the occasional one of lemons, and I what I thought might be olives.

With now being in Spain, and because I couldn’t do it before in Portugal, I had to purchase my bus ticket to continue on, hoping there was space for me. No problem as it was, so with ticket in hand, I then tried phoning my new ‘time share’ place to see how to get there. I was no longer in a tourist friendly place, so I had a few funny stabs at buying a phone card and trying to use the payphone when there was no English to go by at all. Eventually I managed with the help of a lovely young man, who didn’t speak much English, but understood what I was trying to do. All this, only to discover that there was not a connection from Almería to Vera Beach by bus until the following morning, so I would only be able to go as far as Almeria that day.

Seeing as how I’d left Portugal a day earlier than planned (I was paid up with my time share until Saturday morning, but there were no buses then, so I had to leave Friday morning), and I didn’t know until I got to Spain that I couldn’t get the bus to my resort until Sat morning, I was left without a place to stay on Friday night. I suspected this might happen, so decided not to worry about it, as I knew I’d find something. If not, I could potentially curl up in the bus station and wait it out.

I wondered around the block in Seville, dragging my luggage with me, and found a little place to eat some late lunch….There seemed to be plenty of people eating there, but the food wasn’t that great in the end, though at least they weren’t serving pigeon like I’d experienced at one place in Egypt.

As I returned to the bus station, I saw a down-on-his-luck guy curled up against the outside wall of the bus depot. He had a long scraggily beard, worn clothes and a worn look about him…it gave me a bit of a start when I suddenly thought about my plan of waiting overnight at the bus depot if I needed to. I decided that wasn’t going to be me after all and was determined to find a hotel or hostel.

I needn’t have worried, as when I arrived in Almería I was directed across the street from the bus station to the NH Hotel. From the outside it looked fairly expensive, but I thought I’d ask and if it was reasonable I’d stay, otherwise, I’d ask for their recommendations and then hop in a taxi and find a decent place. The NH Hotel turned out to be cheaper to stay than our regular hotels in Saskatchewan, and I grabbed a room.

Thank heavens the room was modern and really nice and warm. And I was able to have a lovely soak in a hot tub of water, because when I went to drag out my pj’s, they were wet. The outer layers of my clothes in my suitcase had been soaked by the rain. I quickly spread everything out on the furniture, knobs, hooks, etc., including my damp papers and books so that they would dry by morning. Luckily, I had a dry nightgown that escaped the rain, because it was tucked in the middle of my clothes in my suitcase. I had a lovely sleep in a very comfortable bed—the best bed I’d had since leaving Cyprus. The ones in Egypt were like lying on bricks, and the one in Portugal too ‘saggy.’ There was also plenty of warm water and lots of toilet paper…a commodity for sure when travelling, even in Portugal and Spain, particularly in public places.

My only worry at the hotel was that I didn’t have a clock in the room and would miss my bus the next morning. (My personal alarm clock gave up the ghost and I couldn’t figure out how to set the new I’d been given as a gift to the time change I was now in.) The reception staff seemed to think it odd that I needed to know what time it was until I needed a wake up call, which they would easily do. In the end they told me to call down to them any time I needed to know the time….I found this hilarious and didn’t do it, because I discovered the time on the TV display if I turned the set on by hand instead of with the remote. So when I woke in the middle of the night or near morning, I was able to see what time it was and roll over and go back to sleep.

Everything went like clockwork in the morning and I managed to catch my bus to Vera (I’d bought the ticket the night before, after arriving in Almería around 10 pm.). This time it was daylight and the sun was shining, so I was able to take a few photos along the way.

I was particularly fascinated by huge flat-roofed greenhouses along both sides of the highway.


They went for kilometre after kilometre, in fact many kilometres, maybe even 30 or 40 kms. I couldn’t really see what was in them, but they stretched what seemed like forever throughout the valley we were going through. I imagine they were grape vines, as the fruit groves didn’t seem to be covered. I must ask someone.

Once I arrived at the Vera bus station, I hopped into a taxi as I was told to do by the Vera Beach Club. Ironically, the bus ride from Almería to Vera was only 7.90 Euros and the taxi ride was 10 Euros from Vera to the Vera Beach Club—the taxi driver drove me back 8 miles to a place I’d already passed while on the bus. Had I known, I could have had the bus drop me off at a particular spot and walked the three or four blocks to the resort….such is life, particularly when you can’t speak the language and ask directions properly!

(If you can find Garrucha on the map on the coast and can see the red line going north, about where it ends is where I'm staying.)








At any rate, I’m staying in another lovely place, so far so good, though they wanted an arm and a leg for meals in their restaurant for the week, which included Christmas dinner of several choices that didn’t really appeal to me-not really traditional in Spain either as far as I could tell. I chose to wait before committing and I’m glad I did.

I wondered around and sussed out my environment again and discovered an ‘English pub’ three blocks away that serves great food and inexpensive prices. My lunch was so big; I don’t think I’ll need supper.

I got chatting to a woman (the waitress) from northern England who has been living here for the past eight months and a man (a customer) from England who lives up the coast, where he’s been for the past five years, since his retirement. They were both friendly and helpful.

The environment was very friendly and they have an Internet connection where I can take my laptop too. (The hotel also has Internet, but is more expensive though I will use it once in a while, I suppose.)

I expect I will be popping into the ‘pub’ for quite a few of my meals over the next week, at least when I’m not cooking for myself. I haven’t found a grocery store yet, but I haven’t ventured very far yet, nor have I asked.

The place I’m staying in is nicely equipped, though I don’t see any heat sources. Luckily, the temperature here is much warmer than in Portugal. I have a balcony from my living room and from my bedroom, and the place is spacious.
The time is 7 hours difference from Regina time. I am in room number 84 which is on the second floor of one of the units at the Vera Beach Club Resort.

There is great security here, in that they have locked gates to get into the property. A pain to carry the key to go in and out, but good to know we are a bit safer.














I can work on my laptop at the kitchen table and look out on some lovely gardened areas.












I love the tiled steps on the older buildings that are found fairly frequently.

It’s quite amazing to see Poinsettias planted in the ground as part of the flower beds.







They seem to be a darker red than the ones we have at home, but maybe it’s just my imagination.

I was particularly taken with the shaped trees that were wrapped like presents…they come in all shapes and sizes.















I've booked myself into an English pub for a traditional turkey Christmas dinner. It's a place called Roly's Too, (pictured here), which is about three blocks straight down the street from my resort.

The food choices at the resort where I was staying was unispired, but I will be going there in the evening to watch some Flamenco dancing.

No comments: