Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Impressions of Vera, Spain

New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, Tuesday & Wednesday

I'm not sure why I've always wanted to come to Spain or what I find so appealing, because I'm sure there are other places that have as much to offer. Part of it might be that the people, at least here in this authentic village of Vera, still live by their old values and passions and there is so much culture here, rather than being a homogenized group of people mashed together in the country. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vera,_Spain

They have more ‘definition’ and boundaries in their lifestyles and it’s quiet and peaceful here. Everyone is patient and relaxed, so that one has to leave to experience the craziness again, but while one stays the peacefulness takes over. I’m getting into a calmer rhythm here that I quite enjoy. The people here have respect for life and nature, and the village is filled with parks and waterfalls, and flowers, and everyone seems so positive and happy.

If I could find some work here, I would stay. I love it and the opportunities are wonderful, and the costs of things are great in terms of living here. My landlords say that a six bedroom house is only $270 (Canadian dollars) per year for property taxes. And they can attend all kinds of theatre, concerts, movies, lessons (Spanish, Tai Chi, Yoga, dancing, needlework, etc.) for free through their annual property tax dollars. The performances often are those with famous people and groups too. The place is alive with festivals, and culture....it's so amazing. Eating out is a little less expensive than home, and groceries are definitely cheaper with fresh produce brought to the marketplace every Saturday. Not to mention all the fresh fish and seafood, often caught the same day.

The streets are clean. Everyone – people and shopkeepers – are responsible for keeping the areas in front of their places clean. I feel safe walking the streets here, though I still wouldn't venture far on my own at night...mostly because I might get lost in the maze of narrow streets.


Almost everything I might need is easily within walking distance. In fact, I literally have to only take twelve steps out the front door to arrive at a tapas bar to eat. (Photo on right: The tapas bar is on the left and the front door to my place is the small one between the two trees.)

The weather is moderate all year round, which is another bonus to me for where to live. The community is very family orientated, with New Year’s Eve being the biggest celebration to be with family and absolutely everything shuts down (in the authentic villages….not the places that cater to tourists). They have many festivals going on throughout the year. I’d like to see the festival of flowers and the week long Easter celebrations. The people are very religious as well, though I am not, though spirituality plays a great role in my life.

The strong morals and religiousness of the place might seem a little incongruous given that the biggest nudist beach in Europe is here in Vera, though I’ve not yet gone down there to check it out. Apparently yesterday, when it was quite warm, the place was busy. http://www.its-natural.net/naturist-holidays-vera-playa-spain.htm (NB: The old men in this village do not like it when the young men go around without shirts on and they will say something....obviously the residents of the village are not the people who are likely to attend the nudist beaches!)

I could stay here for a very long time, and may stay until I leave for China at the end of February. I can always come back once I get a little teaching experience under my belt. I want to investigate the 'grandfathering' of a UK passport too, which will automatically give me an EU passport, and hence the opportunity to work in Europe and especially in Spain. This might take a while to do. Some other friends of mine are doing it, so I'll see how they make out and then but I'll set things in motion for myself. The biggest drawback is that it’s hard to find places to rent in the village proper, which is where I’d want to live.

I'd gone out for a long walk around the town earlier in the day and I'm getting more familiar with it all the time. I found the autobus estacion (bus station) to take me to Barcelona, but then today I’ve found an inexpensive flight from Vera to there that is only a few Euros more than the bus ride (which would take 11 hours+). I’m not sure when I'm going to go there, probably in about ten to fourteen days or so...just looking for a cheap place to stay while I’m there, which might not be possible.

Barcelona is back to big city life and more expensive, but I do want to see all the galleries and museums, before I leave the county. I'm trying to finish my next children's novel before I leave Vera, so I've no set deadline for moving on yet, but expect to spend most of January in Spain.
http://www.virtourist.com/europe/barcelona/index.html

***********
New Year’s Eve I had a quiet evening last night by choice. I didn't fancy going to the one and only pub that opened especially for the other 'boarders' and B&B operators in the town. I didn't want to sit in a smoky bar to bring in the New Year....just not part of my new 'healthy' lifestyle that I've set for myself for 2008. But I did have a glass of champagne with my housemates, before they went out.

There is always laughter when we are all introduced as there is Jill, Phil, Gil, Hill (short for Hillary), and then Dave Jill(y)'s huband, Fiona (Phil's wife, who's from Rhodesia), and myself. [By the way, Jilly has a grown daughter in England named Judy, so I sometimes get called Judy too].

I enjoyed staying back and watching fireworks from the terrace of the B&B. I watched a rerun of the movie “Life of Brian” and listened to a little Julios Iglesias....his music filled the air at the marketplace on Sat and I couldn't resist buying a CD of his. It was so magical and so fitting.

At midnight I could see the sparkles from about six towns around the mountainous area and it was quite lovely.

I'm enjoying the sun and the warmth today, though I've mostly been inside writing and putzing on the computer, preparing more for my blog. My son had his hip operation yesterday and it went well, though I don't know the details or what that means. I got the info second hand through my parents, who had no other details either. My son is supposed to phone tomorrow, or as soon as he gets back home. I'm relieved that all is well for now.

Not much is open here today – New Year’s Day, but I will be able to go to a little tappas bar for something to eat for supper. I’ve found the food delicious here and I’m learning about the quirks compared to home. Number one is that you definitely won't find any fastfood places here.

You won’t be served butter here either for on your bread or anything else. Everywhere you go you’re served olive oil, which you pour onto the bread slice with a deft flick of the wrist. They do serve ensaladas (salads), but the only dressings I’ve found are either mayonnaise or olive oil and white vinegar. They do have what they call salsas (but they are more like sauces – which could include what we call salsa – the tomato kind – or a mustard sauce, or they use other ingredients that I’m not familiar with yet.) The Spanish use a tremendous amount of garlic in everything and wine is incredibly inexpensive and plentiful everywhere you go.

Tea is not popular and even if you can find a place that might sell it, the quality is awful, so English drinking tea drinkers get theirs sent from home. They use mayo on their French fries, rather than ketchup, and you have to make your own hot chocolate from packages when you order it from a cafĂ©, but it’s quite good. The food is wonderful here, and I've managed to find some good recipe sites that reflect what I'm tasting:

http://www.xmission.com/~dderhak/recipe/churros.htm

http://www.tienda.com/ and http://www.tienda.com/recipes/recipes.html

Paella (the dish on the left) I have yet to try. But I love the hot chorizo sausages (below). (The photos are taken from the above web site.) At the hotel, which I mentioned that is famous for where all the matadors stay, there are also world renowned chefs, whose recipes have been gathered into published cookbooks. I have not tried the 'silver service' at the hotel, and probably won't as it's very expensive, but I can imagine how fabulous the food must be.


Everyone speaks Spanish here, although the odd person might know a little English. Sometimes it’s a challenge to get around, but I just keep asking, pointing and miming. I plan on taking lessons while I’m here, and I’ve bought myself a phrase book. It’s fun to practice the language. Sometimes there are some very funning things that happen, but yesterday I managed to find a hairdresser and have my hair trimmed and shampooed and dried. You don’t make appointments….you just walk in, though you might have to wait for a while until it’s your turn.

The people are very patient here.

And I am learning paciencia as well.

2 comments:

Melonie Old said...

Hey there! In three more sleeps I will be in Guatemala and sharing your wonderlust lifestyle. Unlike you I will be computerless and may not check in for awhile. Just want to wish you a Happy New Year and All the best in your incredible journey! It is the first today and Very cold here. Can't wait to be in the sun! Much love, Melonie

Anonymous said...

Spanish Property for Sale
Almeria Villas Spain and Almeria property
Confused with all the publicity and advertising surrounding Almeria Property? Prefer some refreshing honesty? .......then welcome to Almeria Villas Spain , a family run company where our 20 years experience of living and working in Spain combine to bring you a hand picked selection of Almeria property for sale including villas, townhouses and apartments at prices that other companies find difficult to beat.