Friday, January 4, 2008

Mount Bayra Medieval Ruins Excursion

Friday, January 4, 2008

My new walking exercise program led me today to a pilgrimage up Mount Bayra (otherwise referred to as the “Jesus Mountain” by the local English speaking people, because of the statue of Jesus on the top and because the area is called “The Hill of the Spirit Santo.”)

Although my Spanish isn’t very good, from what I could make out from the literature about the place, there was once a village built into the hills at least as early 800 A.D. though I might be wrong about the dates. (For more details, some basic historical information I gleaned came from this URL site: http://www.askolive.com/areaguide/132/Almeria/Vera/)

There is also some controversy as to whether it existed before or after or in between the times when Vera came into existence. One source says that Barya is now the village of Vera and it was relocated in the 13th century to the ground it stands on today. This last fact seems to be true, although the date might not be accurate.



Whatever the case, a massive earthquake in 1518 finished off the once thriving village. An artist’s rendering of it shows what it must have been like before its destruction, and other paintings show various aspects of Roman, Christian and Moorish (Arabs) occupation.



A photo taken in1888 shows there wasn’t much left of it.






On the way up the hill, and before one comes to the gates (often locked) that lead to
the church and the statue,
there is an area where there are some ruins, including what once



must have been a fairly large house built into the side of the hill. Of course, I wandered all around and took shots from as many sides as I could easily get.



As I travelled up, I passed through the gates, and began the 'spiritual' journey done by thousands of others, including those during special festivals.

Although there once was only a path that zig-zagged up the mountain, there is now a stone path, which at times are steps to climb. I didn't count how many, but it was a nice walk and the view well worth it.


There were some flowers blooming, though it is the winter months.












I first came upon the remains of a small church which has been turned into a museum, which houses some lovely artifacts (so I'm told...it was locked so I couldn't see inside).







I also saw the remnants of their water system and a few walls were still visible.











There were also little benches along the way to stop and enjoy the peacefulness.

I became fascinated with the large Prickly Pear cactus and how it stood out in the sky and on the hills.


Apparently the Prickly Pear Cactus produces a fruit that is edible and is sold in the stores under the name "tuna".


The branches of the Prickly Pear Cactus can be cooked and can be eaten as a vegetable and is sold under the name "Nopalito". The juice and pulp of the fruit of the Prickly Pear Cactus makes some delicious Prickly Pear Nectar juice.








I had a fabulous view of the surroundings, which are typical geography of Spain….mountains and valleys and around here, eventually to the Mediterranean Sea.

























Barley, citrus fruits, almonds, and lettuce are grown in many farms and fields, and there was an orange orchard below mountain where I stood.

To the northeast of Mount Bayra (right beside it in fact), live the ‘gypsies,’ known also as the original Spanish people. I think they would be of Moorish (Arabic) descent. They are basically still a hunting and gathering group, some of whom still live in caves in the hills. I spied a few places, but I suspect most entrances are well hidden. Some live in dilapidated homes, eking out a living through gardening too. They live a very simple life and are a friendly group.











One shot I got was of the town of Vera and the place where I'm staying. It looks quite small from the outside, whether looking at it from the front or the back. One would never guess it was so spacious inside.
There is a big bushy tree almost in the middle of the photo. To the very right of it (and a little behind is where I live for now.) The tree partly obscures my view of the mountain from the balcony. (See the first photo on this page and you will see the same tree on the right hand side of the frame.)

I attempted to take some photos of myself to prove I'd made it to the top of the mountain…
sometimes the shot went right over my head....
and right over the head of the statue, apparently...

I settled for just taking one of the statue in the end....

No comments: