Monday, December 10, 2007

First Impressions of Egypt


My first impression of Egypt will remain with me forever, I’m sure….the quarter moon tipped on its side in the depths of darkness over the desert sand dotted with an occasional palm tree that swept towards the Sinai Mountains in the background.

The second amazing site was the Sharm el Sheikh Airport all lit up with its roof like the tops of Bedouin tents.

Learning that there were an estimated 300 pyramids of varying sizes, only one hundred of them that have actually been noted impressed me; as did the fact that they were built not only for the Kings and Queens but also separate smaller ones for their spouses, and sometimes their mothers (in the case of the kings, though I’m not sure about the Queen mothers.)

Taxi drivers try to rip you off big time here, so one must learn to be firm and sometimes ruthless. They are everywhere honking to get your attention and saying hello to their buddy drivers, of which there are many. Now that I’m in Na’ama Bay they are not as bad, but in the Hadaba area.

Egyptian tea is very good and refreshing – sort of like green tea, I have yet to discover what type of herb it is made from, or if it is actually a tea plant that grows here.

A complimentary and traditional drink here is called “karkadee.” It is made from Hibiscus flowers, which grow here in profusion. In Mexico it is called Jamaica (Ha-mike-ah) juice. It is best with a little sweetener in it. I had it plain in the first hotel, which is the way they served it, but at the second place, they gave it to me as a welcoming drink and it was sweetener a little and very palatable.

Staying in the Hilton Sharm Dreams Resort is exactly like being in Mexico, though I must say they bend over backwards here to be accommodating. My every whim is taken care of almost instantly. There are tons of pools, some heated, and the complex has everything you could wish for in terms of tourist comfort and activities.

American money still has the attention of the world…every country seems to revere it and want it rather than their own currency. However, unless one can find an actual bank here, I can’t exchange it. All that comes out of the ATM machines is Egyptian pounds.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Jude, It sounds beautiful and interesting, just waiting to see more pictures. Love Mom & Dad