Tuesday, December 11, 2007

More Impressions of Egypt

Communicating by phone from here is high near impossible…it costs an arm and a leg to call from the hotel and there are hardly any pay phones (I have a calling card). In fact I’ve only seen one at the airport so far and I’m usually there at 5 in the morning, so it’s not the right time to call Canada. Besides we barely get there before the plane takes off and then when we return late at night we’re hustled right back onto our buses to get back to the hotel.

Mailing a parcel home is exceedingly difficult as well. I don’t think any of the tourists here mail anything but postcards and as this is strictly a tourist place; the other inhabitants don’t mail things either it seems. I’ve been sending a few post cards out, but so far I’ve not had a response from anyone to say they received any…not even from Cyprus, so don’t hold your breath waiting for them. In fact, I won’t be sending any post cards from now on….the blog will be the only way you’ll get my news.

People who work here mostly come from Cairo…they work for a month, then go home for a week, then return again. The bigger hotels have staff accommodations for their employees, and I imagine the smaller ones do to, though I can’t imagine they are very good.

Water in the hotels is not suitable to drink, though I wouldn’t drink the water here anyway. I always stick to bottled water. They must have a variety of water supplies as taking a bath/shower and using the sink water is okay for washing, but after flushing the toilet there is a bad odour, so I wonder if they aren’t using not so well recycled treated sewage water. One doesn’t linger in the bathroom any more than one has to.

Mosquitoes are in full force here and my legs are covered with swollen bites that itch like crazy…they seem to be about the same as in Canada. I’m looking forward to slightly cooler weather in Portugal and Spain. I would never come to Egypt in the summer time…it would be unbearably hot. It’s nice to hot here right now…one can always be in shorts during the day, though it cools off a little at night once the sun disappears.

Canadian are a rarity in Sharm and when people ask me where I come from, they are very surprised…..many instantly say “Canada Dry” and sometimes walking down market streets that’s all I hear….Apparently up until 5 years ago they used to be able to buy it and it was one of their favourite drinks.

I’m learning a little Arabic – Salamo Aliekom (Peace be with you)

No comments: