Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Barcelona Day Three

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My last day in Barcelona started out as a bright sunny day and I whipped out to get a baguette for my brunch, then I made plans to walk to an art gallery and then catch another tourist bus to tour the city, but alas, the best laid plans....












The day turned cloudy and cool, so I only made it as far the Museu Picasso (Picasso Museum), which is Barcelona's most visited. It's housed in three strikingly beautiful stone mansions on the Carrer de Montcada, which was, in medieval times, an approach to the port. To get there you wander through the old streets that Picasso would have walked when he lived here.


I spent quite some time there, then stopped for a quick snack....
I hadn't had any fruit for what seemed like days and this had berries on it so I thought it was a grand way to get my vitamins...the baked cheesecake underneath was delicious too!







I eventually wandered back home, feeling a little under the weather, I think from the chill and damp of the day before, but not before I came across some more specatcular buildings...which actually turned out to be other museums and art galleries, but were originally medieval mansions or castles or something.....have to do more research. Can't you just picture the Knights Templar or something like that with these surroundings?
There are just too many sights to take in sometimes...
It's a good thing I head for Venice tomorrow, otherwise I might be trapped here taking more building pictures forever, like being in the 'twilight zone.'

There was a a great busker...a young guitartist who I listened to for awhile. He reminded me of Aaron. When a young couple came along, I had them take my photo beneath the passageway between two buildings, or perhaps it was one building in two parts?

I'll be saying good-bye to a couple of young woman I met who are from Norway. They came to work here, but didn't like their phone call centre jobs so quit yesterday. I also met a nice man from India, who has done a great deal of travelling in other countries and is now working here as an IT person. I discovered my landlord is also a writer and a university prof in philosophy....

It's always amazing to meet all these people and we keep in touch afterwards too...I'll put them up if they ever come to visit in Canada or wherever I am and vice versa!

No comments: